Thursday, August 30, 2007

Pickin around

I have been really getting into playing the banjo lately. I go through spells where I am too busy to play or for whatever reason maybe the urge just doesn't hit. Then all of a sudden, I can't play enough. I sit down as soon as I get in from work and pick up the banjo and play till I have to get up and do something else. Then, right back to picking.

When I do stop long enough to figure how to do it, I am going to put some short tracks of me attempting to play my banjo. I'm not great by any means but I can play some stuff and one of these days I will be a great player. I love it too much not to become one.

I am self taught and I don't know any body to learn from so I have been learning from a couple of books with tapes mostly. Plus, I have been picking around with my banjo for about 5 years I think and now I can play some simple songs by ear so that kind of helps but getting some playing knowledge from real experts can't be beat.

The first and best book that I have been learning from is the
Hal Leonard Earl Scruggs and the 5-String Banjo (Book & CD Package)



I have always bee an Earl Scruggs fan and I couldn't believe it when I found out that he had a banjo instruction course that I could learn from. I'll be sure to post if I make some remarkable progress or something.

No comments: